Top 15 analysis essay topics
Analysis essays are a popular choice for writing assignments. As well as testing writing ability they also let you demonstrate your ability to organize information, set it down logically and reach conclusions based on it.
When writing this type of essay you'll often be given a topic, such as an analysis of the relationships between characters in a novel. Often, however, you'll be able to choose your own topic. This can be great news, because it lets you write about a subject you're interested in and have good knowledge of. Sometimes it's hard to think of one though, so if you're in this situation here are 15 of the best topics:
- Do curfews keep teenagers out of trouble?
- Does abstinence-only sex education work?
- Is it time for more gun control in America?
- Does technology give us more free time?
- Should we send humans back to the moon and to Mars?
- Is social media a good thing for young people?
- Do too many employers want job candidates to have a degree?
- Is universal health care a good idea?
- Does it cost too much to run a political campaign in the USA?
- Is it worth giving up freedom to defeat terrorism?
- Is it possible to have a "War on terror"? Isn't terrorism a tactic rather than an opponent?
- Should banks be more tightly regulated to ensure they don't cause economic problems?
- Do TV debates between politicians prove anything?
- Should religion have a place in making laws?
- Does gay marriage harm anyone?
All these topics have been discussed in the media, so there is plenty of material to help you write your essay. Pick one that interests you and that you already know something about, because this will make your job a lot easier.
To write a good essay you should apply the scientific method in reverse; decide what conclusion you want the essay to reach, check that there is enough evidence to support that conclusion (and no knockout arguments that defeat it) then finally come up with the best question to ask that will lead to your conclusion.
It's very important when writing an analysis essay that your conclusion follows on naturally from the points you discuss in the main body of the essay. You should never discuss things in the conclusion that you haven't mentioned before. With some research, though, and a topic from the above list that you know something about, you can easily write a great essay.